UMD Outdoor Program Turns 30!
UMD OUTDOOR PROGRAM
30th ANNIVERSARY REUNION
JULY 17, 2010
The Outdoor Program 30th Anniversary Reunion is coming up this weekend! There have been some changes and additions.
- The open barbeque on Friday (7/16) is at the new Bagley Classroom Building - it's near Rock Pond. Everyone is welcome to come to this (even if they are not registered for anything). We'll have the grills started around 5:30 and we will supply beverages. You supply the food to grill and other treats for yourself. Canoes will be available for anyone to paddle on Rock Pond. Bring a blanket for picnic style eating on the grass.
- On Saturday, check out the details on the activities listed below
- FOR THE SOCIAL, DINNER, AND PROGRAM on Saturday afternoon/evening, we'll be in the "Griggs Center" in Kirby Student Center. Just find your way to Kirby and we'll have signs posted to the location (it's on the second floor on the south side of where the Kirby Cafe used to be). The social begins at 4pm - we'll have refreshments (including beer), displays, and showing of archive photos.
- Children are welcome to stay with adults, but we have available activities for kids 5 and older with a pizza dinner. Our staff will come and get kids regularly to bring them down to the gym for these activities. IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN THAT WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS, LET ME KNOW BY THE END OF WEDNESDAY VIA EMAIL
Ken and I thought it would be fun if you happen to have an old Outdoor Program t-shirt, to wear it to the social and dinner on Saturday evening - it's casual dress. As for parking, lots and meters are not monitored on Saturday.
We have about 130 people signed up!
DATES AND SCHEDULES
Saturday, July 17 is the main date of celebration. We encourage you
to make it a weekend. Come “home” on Friday and participate through
Sunday, July 18.
Reunion Info Sheet
UMD Housing has provided us with special rates in campus housing.
Arrangements are being made for those who wish to camp out.
A special rate at a local hotel has been negotiated.
Or, make other plans.
JUST BE HERE!
Friday July 16 (for those who can make it)
Afternoon - check into your accommodations or set-u p your tent at the exclusive “tent city” adjacent to Bagley Nature Area at UMD.
A time to visit the Recreational Sports and Outdoor Program offices and facilities or to do “your own thing”
5:30 p.m.- open barbeque at the new Bagley Nature Area Classroom (bring your own food & utensils, heated grills and beverages provided) a casual gathering with campfire. Canoes available for paddling on Rock Pond.
Saturday, July 17 “The Main Event”
10:00am to 4:00pm- Optional Activities on-campus or in Duluth: Rock climbing on the new indoor wall, tours of the campus, hiking Bagley Nature Area, sea kayaking and stand-up-paddle boarding at the end of Park Point on Lake Superior, and more.
4:00 p.m. t o 6:00 p.m. - Social gathering (on campus site)*
6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. - Dinner (campus dining facilities)*
7:00 p.m. Program and Recognition*
*Free childcare will be provided on Saturday from 4:00pm to 8:30pm during the social gathering, dinner, and program
Sunday, July 18 (for those who wish, with modest fees for some activities)
9:00am to 3:00pm - Activities in Duluth and surrounding area: Canoeing & kayaking the St. Louis River at the Outdoor Program Outpost on the St. Louis River/Thomson Reservoir, Rock Climbing at Silver Cliff on the North Shore, Hiking the Superior Hiking Trail through Duluth, and Park Point forest hike.
Or Connect with old friends and have an adventure of your own!
REGISTRATION AND FEES
(includes Friday barbeque and Saturday activities, events, and banquet meal)
Register By June 1 and its FREE!
After June 1, $10 per adult with under 17 yrs. Free
To register, send the names of everyone in your family that will participate and contact information (email address, mail address, phone number) to:
• Email to email@example.com and put “Register” as the “Subject”
• Call: 218-726-7128 and ask the registration staff to sign you up for the Outdoor Program Reunion.
Once you register, we’ll send you more details on the event.
• Residence Hall - $39.00 per n ight, 2 single beds
• Apartments: $94.00 per night, apts have 2 bdrms, each with 2 beds & washroom, plus kitchen with stove, refridge, eating area, & living rm.
• UMD Housing requests should be made at least one month in advance. Go to www.d.umn.edu/housing, click on the link on the left for the form to fill out and submit by FAX (this is a secure site).
Note: a UMD R.A. (resident adviser) reunion is on the same weekend.
• Free tent camping in our “tent city” will be available in a field adjacent to Bagley Nature Area – this will be rustic camping without running water and with porta potties.
• Camping gear (tents, sleeping bags, pads) available for a 50% discount from the Rec Sports Outdoor Program Rental Center in the Sports and Health Center – reserve gear by calling 218-726-6134.
Local Hotels and Motels
• The Holiday Inn Duluth is providing us with a special rate for a small block of rooms. The rate of $129 per night is for a single, double, triple, or a quad. To make your reservations call 218-722-1202 and ask for the UMD Outdoor Recreation rate. Or, go to this link for the block of rooms with our rate and book a room: Holiday Inn
NOTE: the cut-off date for this rate is June 16, 2010